This is my take on the mermaid tail blanket. Since I have no daughters, I had to make one for myself. I was going to attempt one in the crocodile stitch, but since I wanted to complete it over the Christmas holiday break, I decided to go for a simpler design that still had some texture to it. I opted for the design by YARNutopia By Nadia Fuad which uses shells, and I modified it slightly to make it double-stranded. I also modified the fin from the Emma-Noel Mermaid Tail to make it double-stranded. I like it double-stranded because it makes the blanket feel even more cushy and warm, although, it uses a lot of yarn this way.
– 10 skeins of worsted weight yarn for the body. (I used Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! Ombre in Nightwatch)
– 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn for the fin. (I used Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! Solids in Purple)
– small amount of worsted weight yarn as an accent. (I used Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! Solids Antique Teal)
– Size M/N (9.0mm) Crochet Hook
Medium (Small Adult/Teen)
Holding two strands together, I chained 128. Working in the 3rd chain from the hook, I crochet 126 dc across. I then worked 22 shells across. I continued working like the original pattern indicates for 50 rows before joining in the round. I am rather short at 5′, so more rows may need to be worked if you are taller.
The decrease rows are longer on my version than the original pattern, though, as I did a gradual decrease. For the first few rows, I did several decreases per row, adding an additional decrease as I worked up the rows, i.e. Round 1, I worked one decrease, the next round, I did two decreases, the third round, I did 3 decreases, and so forth. I only got up to four or five decreases before switching back to one decrease per row, which I worked from the end of one round to the beginning of the next round. This brings the end to a point, which ended in a more v-shape tail. On each side of this v-shape, is where I stitched on the fin.
I finished by sc with the accent yarn around the curved edge of the blanket to give it a more finished look.
I worked the fin with two strands, as well. I chained 55 and worked the rest of the pattern the same way. I ended with 10 hdc, so it is not as high of a fin. I also sc around the outside of the fin, and sl st along the inner curved part of the fin to finish it off.
Overall, I really love how it turned out!
Add this project to your favorites on
This post may contain affiliate advertising. This means that if you click a link in the post, I may make a commission based on your purchase. The price you pay for the product or service is not higher, and the commissions I earn go to keeping MyCreativeBlog.com online.
Comments on this page are moderated before posting. This ensures that this blog does not get overrun by spam or inappropriate comments. Please allow up to 24 hours before you'll see your comment, as I approve them as soon as I can.