I have had this idea in my head for several months now, but I was intimidated to bring it to life because I wasn’t sure I would be able to design it the way I had pictured in my head. I finally sat down to work on it, and it came together so easily. And I am so happy with how it turned out!
If you happen to be a child of the 90s like I was, then perhaps this doll will bring back some familiarity. They were a series of dolls with plastic skirts which when turned inside out transformed into edible goodies with their hats becoming the icing. They were also scented. I thought wouldn’t they be cute and fun in crochet, too! This pattern is beginner friendly!
A knit version of this pattern can be found here.
Tip: If you are looking to make it scented try Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Scents.
– Approx. 20-25 yds of worsted weight yarn in a skin color.
(I used Hobby Lobby’s I love this Cotton! in Antique White)
– 1-2 colors of approx. 20-25 yds of worsted weight yarn for the dress (skirt, top).
– Approx. 10-15 yds of worsted weight yarn for frosting and cake hat.
– Approx 10-15 yds of worsted weight yarn for hair.
– small amount of embroidery thread for smile (black or red).
– (Optional) small amount of worsted weight yarn in red for cherry.
– Size G (4.0mm) Crochet Hook
– Tapestry Needle
– Polyfil Stuffing
– 6mm eyes (or black yarn to make eyes)
– (Optional) Small beads for Sprinkles (I used the tube ones)
– (Optional) Sewing thread in matching color of frosting for sewing on the beads.
Stitches in this pattern:
Doll – 6 ½” tall when standing (without the hat)
Cupcake – 5” tall with frosting
Gauge: 6 sts x 6 rows = 1” x 1”
Gauge is less important in this type of project.
|ch(s) = Chain(s)
sp(s) = space(s)
st(s) = stitch(es)
sl st = Slip Stitch
sk = Skip
|sc = Single Crochet
sc dec = Single Crochet Decrease
RS = Right Side
WS = Wrong Side
FO = Finish Off
|MC – Magic Circle|
Examples from Testers:
This design, written pattern, and images are a copyright of ©Heather Boyer. You may make and sell products from my patterns. I do ask that you include a link to the pattern with credit for the design. Please do not copy and/or repost this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not copy and/or re-publish photos as your own.
This post may contain affiliate advertising. This means that if you click a link in the post, I may make a commission based on your purchase. The price you pay for the product or service is not higher, and the commissions I earn go to keeping MyCreativeBlog.com online.